Thursday, November 18, 2010

Epilogue (Golden Horseshoe)

Here we are, at the very end of the novel. Was anyone else a bit let down? I can’t put my finger on that which I wanted to learn by the end of the story, but I do know that I have not learned it.

First of all I was very upset by the fact that drunken citizens were hunting black cats and tying them up and doing awful things to them…

I was not surprised to hear that the authorities decided that Koroviev was a master hypnotist; they are always rationalizing away all the fun.

I was bit confused on page 395 when everyone seemed to think they were kidnapped. That would mean that the bodies were not left behind. But they had to be left behind because how else would anyone, other than Homeless, know that they were dead?
And what does Venus have to do with anything? I know she’s the Goddess of love, or something along those lines, and I guess that could connect to Margarita’s role in the novel, but I don’t know. Great, now I’m the fool trying to rationalize everything.

Ah, when Ivan Nikolayevich says, “Another victim of the moon…Yes, another victim of the moon like me,” I started thinking about preconceived notions again. All this time one has thought that the moon is pretty much the devil’s sun, but what if there is not a distinction between the sun and the moon? Would that mean that evil is good and good is evil? If not that, then what is evil? Can we actually define such a broad term? And Ivan uses the word “victim.” Yes, that has a negative connotation, in English. I’m rolling this around in my brain. What would it be like to be a victim of the sun, or of good? Of God?
-Golden Horseshoe

No comments:

Post a Comment