Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Prologue-1 (Powdered Whiskers)

The intro is quite a story in itself, in that it contains the necessary elements of absurdity and suffering for a Russian novel. Bulgakov remains unpublished and suffers terribly in frustration and loss of hope, and then he writes to Stalin, who writes back and says he loves one of his satirical plays?! I suppose absurdity must be very much a common element of Russian life. The first chapter was also excellent. I like the way it started with very few people on a hot summer's day, discussing the existence of Jesus. Then this truly bizarre character arrives who takes pleasure in death and manipulation, and has come to Russia as an advisor in Dark Magic. I find it entertaining that they want a consultant for dark magic, but refute religion so categorically! Anyway, it seems that this character is dark and mysterious (could be the devil? trying to manipulate them?). One thing that interested me was the "hallucination" where he saw the very tall slim figure appear before him. I wonder who that was meant to be...although I'm sure all will become clear.
-Powdered Whiskers

No comments:

Post a Comment