Thursday, November 18, 2010

Eplilogue (Spanish Boot)

I feel like I didn't learn anything new striking from the epilogue. I was expecting a great revelation of a sort. Perhaps the answer to everything: the identity of the devils, explanations for all the madness, Bulgakov's final message... But reading the epilogue, I was surprised not because of a twist, but rather because of the lack of a twist. People tried to impose sensible explanations to the strange occurrence. They rationalized everything by saying the devil gang were hypnotists, but that is not true! Another confusing part was when the narrator said in the epilogue that the Master seemed to have been kidnapped. Didn't the nurse say he died? Again, Bulgakov seems to be playing around with truths and lies even until the very end of the novel. I need to hear other people's thoughts about this ending to get a clearer understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment